Sunday, June 15, 2008

Last Comments

This will be my last blog entry for my trip to South Africa! I am home now sitting in my living room as I was for my very first blog entry. It's also 6:30 am because I'm on South Africa time in my head (I also checked online and saw that 5 other of my fellow South Africa travelers are up and online at this time too! 
Anyway, Thursday night was our last night together so we had a Braai (a BBQ) to celebrate and thank all of the people that have helped us make this experience practically flawless. It was really nice for all of us to spend the evening together as a huge group talking about everything we have done over the past 3 weeks and how much we want to come back and do it all over again. We gave the interstudy staff and the JL Zwane staff enlarged matted photos of our group signed for them so they can see us anytime they want! We feasted on lamb, potatoes, onions, garlic bread, salads, and desserts as well as sharing a few bottles of wine. There was laughing, crying, and photo taking like crazy - it was great!
Friday morning seemed like a drag... seeing the houses empty out and our suitcases lining the hallway packed and ready to leave. We headed off to the airport and watched Cape Town disappear behind us. Oh, and when we went through security at one of the airports Brian had his carry on bag checked and the security officer pulled out Brian's "warm fuzzies" (we all wrote each other warm fuzzies on note cards before we left) and was looking through them like they were some kind of security risk. We all told Brian that he should claim his warm fuzzies on his customs form when we entered the U.S. haha!
I really hope that our group stays in contact because we developed relationships that are indescribable. To try and explain my experiences in the townships or the scenery that Cape Town has to offer (to name just a few of the many things I absorbed from the trip) is nearly impossible. Stories and photos help, but no one really understands unless you were there, so to have people to share the experiences with is priceless. 
Now that I am home, I am adjusting pretty well - except the falling asleep at 9:00 pm part, but thats ok! My first American meal (besides the pizza at JFK) was some pasta from Green Mill - I had a hard time with the African cuisine, so I was really looking forward to some American food. Today is Father's Day, so I will be able to see my family and show them pictures and try to explain to them the experiences I had. Luckily, they are very understanding and have always really tried to figure out what's going on in my head!

Thanks for reading my blog! I hope I was able to capture my experiences as best as possible, but honestly, you still have no idea.

No comments: